1. How to get there: San Nicolas is located at Estelí department. To access it, take a bus, at the Managua wholesale market, to Estelí. Once there, take a bus towards la Estanzuela (departing at 6:00 am and 1:30 pm) and get off at La Garnacha junction, from where you have to walk 1.5 miles to the community. In your own car, you can access the site from Estelí, leaving from San Juan de Dios Hospital. You can also take the Pan-American Highway, turning on the left on the paved road to San Nicolas.
2. Ecosystem: Garnacha is within Tisey Estanzuela Nature Reserve.
3. Tourist attractions: You can visit Jalacate Cave of the Stone Gallery and organic vegetable crops; observe the beautiful scenery of the area from the Alpaguajil viewpoint.
4. Tourist activities: Visitors can appreciate the organic vegetables and dairy cultivation areas to learn local dairy manufacturer. You can also buy handicrafts and other local organic products.
5. Tourist services: The Association offers tour guides, food in a communal dining room and lodging in rustic cabin (8 persons), a double cabin, two family cabins (3 people), two community shelters (60 people) and rooms in family homes (1 or 2 people per house). There is also an area equipped for camping.
6. Suggested tour package: We offer a 5 day package called "Our Roots", during which visitors can horse ride on the southern slope of Mombacho volcano, passing through coffee and basic grains plantations. Learn the process of drying and roasting organic coffee for export; visit Sébaco city and its church of colonial façade. You will go up Chaguitillo viewpoint to appreciate the valley and visit Sébaco Chagüitillo pre-Columbian museum, where there is significant archaeological finds. Travel a circuit of 120 petro glyphs of about 3 kilometers (3 hours), in an environment characteristic of the dry tropics. Visit the indigenous people in Mozonte where you will learn about their culture and how the Honorable Council of Elders works. During the cultural evenings, visitors will be treated to delicious local dishes, while enjoying traditional music and dance performances. The price for this package varies depending on group size: USD 392 per person and USD 2,350 for groups up to 6 people. Refer to RENITURAL web page for details on tour packages.
7. What to bring: Clothing should be adapted to a dry tropical weather, including appropriate footwear to walk in. For your protection bring sunscreen, insect repellent, medication and first aid kit.
8. Our organization: San Nicolás Agricultural Program was legally constituted in 1992, with 350 members belonging to 24 communities across San Nicolás de Oriente municipality, with a view of diversifying agricultural production, creating new employments and contributing to local economic development. Since 2005, with the support of UNDP, the association focuses its work on promoting ecotourism as part of its strategy of diversification of local incomes.
9. Booking information: For reservations, sales and travel information, contact Gramacha:
- Phone: (505) 2713-7785 and (505) 821-1240
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Yadira Moreno; address: Subject Tisey, Estanzuela, Estelí.
You can also contact RENITURAL network offices of which they are members:
- Phone: (505) 2522-0465
- Cell phone: (505) 8629-1983
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.turismoruralnicaragua.com
- Address: one block from St. Jerome Church, in the old government building, second floor.