1. How to get there: This destination is located in Mecatepe small lakes Natural Reserve near the city of Nandaime, Granada department. To access it from Granada and Managua, take a bus to Rivas or Nandaime department, get off at km 60 and 1/2, at the entrance to Monteverde and from there, 40 minutes by car. The road breaks down in winter, so you need to use 4x4 vehicles.
2. Ecosystem: Due to its low altitude above lake and sea level, Mecatepe is a warm area, with an average annual temperature of 27°C, cooled by winds from the nearby lake. Rainfall is 1,300 mm. per year, concentrated between May and October.
3. Tourist attractions: The area has beautiful natural attractions, among which highlight Mombacho volcano, Aguas Agrias River, Mecatepe small lakes, Catarina viewpoint and Mombacho volcano Natural Reserve, where we offer several hiking tours with different difficulty degrees.
4. Tourist activities: Bird watching, visit crops, swimming at the river and guided tours walking or horse riding through the reserve’s routes. The first route is "Los Bajos", where you visit the stone quarry, production areas, livestock grow and natural water sources, it ends with a swim in the river (2.5 hours). The second route is to "Laguna Verde" passing through production areas of the cooperative to go into the forest area with rich flora and fauna up to Laguna Verde (4 hours).
5. Tourist services: The Cooperative offers food and guided tours. At present there is no infrastructure for lodging.
6. Suggested tour package: You can hire a tour through UCA Tierra y Agua, or do full days tour from the hostel Nicaragua Libre or Community House La Granadilla.
7. What to bring: Clothing should be adapted to a warm weather, including swimsuit, pants, shirts (long sleeve) and appropriate footwear to walk in. For your protection bring sunglasses, hat or cap, sunscreen, insect repellent, personal medications and first aid kit.
8. Our organization: Aguas Agrias district is traditionally visited by locals, who come especially at Easter season to cool off in the river. Since 2003, Miguel Castro Siles Cooperative joined the UCA Tourism Program, starting to take care and maintenance of the swimming area, food service, and offering guided tours through the reserve.
9. Booking information: For reservations, sales and travel information, contact:
- Fax: (505) 792 2219
- Contacts: Jamileth Rodriguez and Doris Borst
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of the UCA: Hostel Nicaragua Libre or Communal House La Granadilla.