1. How to get there: Buses leave from the Managua market Roberto Huembes towards Rivas, arriving there in two hours .Once there take a taxi (10 minutes) to San Jorge’s port. Then take the ferry or boats, leaving every hour towards Moyogalpa. The trip through the lake takes about an hour. The School hotel is located in Enitel Moyogalpa, 60 meters north.
2. Ecosystem: Moyogalpa is 65 m high; the area is semi-humid known as tropical savannas. The average annual temperature is 27ºC; rainfall varies between 1,400 and 1,600 mm.
3. Tourist tractions: Main attractions are Madera and Concepción volcanoes at 1,600 m, Charco Verde lagoon and Punta de Jesús Maria Moyogalpa a quiet little city that hosts the main port of the Ometepe Island.
4. Tourist activities: Short excursions walking or horse riding to observe wildlife, visit the crops and cultural activities with the communities.
5. Tourist services: We offer horseback riding, guidance and interpretation, food and lodging for visitors and institutional events. The price per person is USD 10 to 12, breakfast included (special prices for groups). This destination has a craft shop and offers technical training in tourism.
6. Suggested tour package: There are no tour packages currently available.
7. What to bring: Clothing should be adapted to a warm and humid climate, including swimsuit, pants, long sleeve shirts and appropriate footwear to walk in. For your protection bring sunglasses, hat or cap, sunscreen, insect repellent, personal medication and first aid kit.
8. Our organization: The Union of Cooperatives consists of five cooperatives and two groups of individual producers. Tourism activities were initiated in 2003, taking advantage of a house he owned in Moyogalpa, to host a Mallorca solidarity group. This contributed to the decision to supplement farming with tourism as alternative income generation and community development. With the support of Tecuilcan, Nicaraguan NGO, and through the Sustainable Tourism Development Program (PRODEST) the Teosintal Hotel School was established in 2005, at the old farm house. It aims to build social capital promoting tourism cooperatives, associations and small tourism businesses, and strengthening local governments. Training seeks to promote sustainable tourism through the continuous improvement of the quality of services provided.
9. Booking information: For reservations, sales and travel information, contact Moyogalpa, Ometepe:
- Phone: (505) 569-4105 and (505) 278-3311
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Migdalia Tórrez (Hotel School) and Flora Acevedo (Tecuilcan).