1. How to get there: The community is located in the center of Ometepe Island, Rivas Department. In the market of Managua Roberto Huembes take a bus that will conduct you to San Jorge, after 2 hours and a half. To reach the Ometepe Island, take the ferry or boat in San Jorge port, which leave every hour towards Moyogalpa. Once on the island, take a bus or a taxi to Las Pilas. The bus goes to Urbaite, so you have to walk 15 minutes to Las Pilas.
2. EcosystemThe average annual temperature is 27°C and decreases by about one degree for every 150 m in elevation. In the area there are two climatic zones: subtropical transition to wet and moist montane transition to wet.
3. Tourist attractions: The community offers visitors the opportunity to share with the people and the possibility of organizing several visits to learn about their work and lifestyle. You can make excursions to several natural places such as beaches and rivers, the Concepcion and Madera volcanoes, where visitors may catch sight of the flora and fauna of the region. There is also the possibility to go fishing with the locals.
4. Tourist activities: In order to admire the region’s flora and fauna, visitors can walk, horse ride or sail, accompanied by members of the community to visit several places such as: Mogote viewpoint (from where you can appreciate the community Las Pilas and Nicaragua Lake), Istian River, The Peña Inculta Cabulla Nature Reserve, the beaches of Santa Teresa and Santo Domingo (suitable for fishing). Visitors appreciate the productive beans, bananas and rice farms. In the evening you can participate in cultural activities with the community.
5. Tourist services: Few offer food (USD 5 per person) and lodging in family houses with capacity for 16 people (USD 4 per person). All activities are performed with guides from the community; their rate varies between USD 3 and 17.
6. Suggested tour packages: There are no tour packages currently available.
7. What to bring: Clothing should be adapted to a cold weather including appropriate hiking boots. For your protection bring sunscreen, insect repellent, personal medications and first aid kit.
8. Booking information: For reservations, sales and travel information, contact Ometepe, Rivas:
- Phone: (505) 569-4180
- Contact: Ulises Hernández or Arely Alemán.